Here are 8 reasons to morally oppose President Obama’s Counterterrorism strategy of using drones (remote controlled robots) to target and kill people.
- Violates International Law which prohibits targeted assassinations outside of a legally declared war.
- Violates other Country’s Sovereignty. Pakistan has asked us nicely to cut it out.
- Little transparency or accountability. Attacks are remotely controlled by the CIA in Air Force bases in the United States.
- Sets a dangerous precedent. “He who lives by the sword will die by the sword” principle
- Perpetuates constant warfare. No risk of troop loss makes it easier to use violent force to respond to conflict like in episode 23 of Star Trek “A Taste for Armageddon”.
- Kills innocents. Hundreds of innocent people have already died in drone attacks even though they are alleged to be very precise.
- Promotes the idea of the global battlefield. A borderless battlefield renders just war meaningless and exit strategies impossible
- Creates anger “Al Qaeda’s best recruiting tool”
2 reasons to use drones:
- Defense against monster aliens – If monster aliens attack the Eastern Rim we will be prepared to fight them with giant robot clones.
- Keeps terrorists on their toes and watching their backs instead of preparing new terrorist attacks.
Notes: the 8 points are from an article from Duane Shanks (p 19 Sojourners July 2013) which I thought were worth memorizing in my own words. The 2 counter points are by me.
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God” (Matthew 5:9)