Here is a mnemonic for remembering the Supreme Court Justices:
First I picture a seesaw with the 4 justices appointed by Republican Presidents on the right, and 4 justices (3 gals, 1 guy) appointed by Democrats on the left. Nobody’s feet is on the ground, and if anyone gets off or gets on they all topple.
Robert Kennedy Takes Altoids
- John G. Roberts (Robert’s brother is John F Kennedy, Gee!)
- Anthony Kennedy (Anthony Kennedy is a Ronald Reagan appointee, A for being the most senior member of the Supreme Court)
- Clarence Thomas (Clarence Thomas is an HW Bush appointee, Anita Hill was opposed to his nomination)
- Samuel A Alito Jr. (Sam I Am Altoids)
And now the ones on the left:
Singing Gals Bring Krispy Kremes
- Sonia Sotomayor (so-so mayor)
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG)
- Stephen Breyer (not Adam and Steve but Adam and Eve, He breys about how the second amendment is not about the right of a private citizen to have a gun by his bed, but the right of states to be able to arm a state militia).
- Elena Kagan (an Obama appointee who was the first female Solicitor General – the one who argues the government’s case in front of the Supreme Court)
Extra Credit: name who was in the vacant seat but died in February 2016.
- Antonin Scalia (died of old age on 2/13/2016)
UPDATE APRIL 13, 2017
Neil Gorsuch became the 113th Supreme Court Justice so now we have
- Conservatives: Gorsuch, Alito, Thomas, Roberts, Kennedy
- Liberals: Sotomayor, Breyer, Ginsburg, Kagan